Survivors’ benefit is paid when a member dies while in service. The surviving dependants of the member are paid survivors pension where deceased member had contributed to the Fund for a minimum period of 180 months or 15 years.
Section 30 of GEPF Retirement Benefit Fund Act provides for payment of death and survivors benefits where a member dies while in service. These benefits are paid subject to the following conditions:
• A deceased member who had contributed to the Fund for a minimum period of 180
months or 15 years shall be paid both death gratuity and survivors pension.
• A deceased member who had contributed to the Fund for a period less than 180 months
or 15 years will only be paid death gratuity.
Where a member dies after contributing to the Fund for a minimum of 180 months or 15 years, the dependants of the deceased member shall be paid survivors pension.
Survivors Pension = 0.75 X Specified Amount X 1/12
• Death Gratuity = 0.25 X Specified Amount X 12.5
Where: Specified Amount = 1/580 X APE X MPS
• APE is Annual Pensionable Emoluments which represents the average
salary enjoyed by the member 36 months preceding his death
• MPS is the Months of pensionable service
• Survivors pension is payable for a period of thirty six (36) months after the death of a
• Dependants include spouse (Husband or wife), children and parents of the deceased
member. Parents should be wholly depending on the member prior to the death and the
children are those who are below 18 or 21 years if in full time education.